The wind beneath your wings: help for Hawks of all abilities.
Now that you’ve started the Fall semester, here’s how the Students with Disabilities team can support you to ensure you fly high throughout the term.
Let’s explore how the team at Ybor’s Hillsborough Community College (HCC) Students with Disabilities department works together, and through a multitude of community resources, to ensure that students with special needs are successful in accomplishing their academic goals.
The questions I used in my interview were:
- Tell me why you chose to work with students with special needs?
- What training or education did you have that prepared you for this work?
- How do you make the students comfortable in reaching out to you whenever they need help or are feeling overwhelmed with their studies?
- Do you only work with students who are classified as disabled by Social Security?
- What is the best way for students to reach you for help?
- What services to you offer?
- How do you determine which services might best fit the student’s needs?
- Do you follow up with students during the semester to determine if their needs are met?
- Do you meet with instructors or professors to advocate for the students?
- What would you like all students to know about the Students with Disabilities team?